NEWS PREVIEW
SHARE

NZ Briefs for 1st November 2018

Kiwis for the Cup; Andoyas to back-up; French Stakes winner for Showcasing ; NZRB records $154.9 million profit.
Kiwis for the Cup
Evergreen New Zealand-bred and owned stayer Who Shot Thebarman will be contesting the Gr.1 Melbourne Cup (3200m) for a fourth time next Tuesday, while a number of his compatriots will be relying on results from Saturday to make the 24 horse field.
The Lance O’Sullivan and Andrew Scott-trained Sir Charles Road all but secured his spot in next Tuesday’s race after placing in the Gr.3 Bendigo Cup (2400m) on Wednesday, leapfrogging the Murray Baker and Andrew Forsman-trained Zacada into 23rd spot in order of entry.
While Zacada currently remains within the starting line-up for the race, the Gr.1 Sydney Cup (3200m) runner-up’s spot could be taken by the winner of the Gr.3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) or Thinkin’ Big, who will contest the Gr.1 VRC Derby (2500m).
A number of Kiwi horses in the Lexus Stakes that could take his place include Rising Red, Yogi or Patrick Erin.
Meanwhile, there has been a set-back for Melbourne Cup hopeful Red Verdon.
The Ed Dunlop-trained entire, who is currently 20th in order of entry for the Cup, has been found with bruising to a foot and missed being worked on Thursday as a result.
“He’s got a bit of a pulse in a foot,” Dunlop said. “We have had the farrier he has a little bruise in his foot. The farrier has taken the shoe off and we are hot and cold pulsing It’s only a 24-hour problem, it’s just come at the wrong time with the Melbourne Cup coming up so quickly.
“He has missed a day’s work, but that will probably be the only problem.”
Andoyas to back-up
The Lance O’Sullivan and Andrew Scott-trained Andoyas will take his place in a Rating 82 Benchmark 7 3⁄4 f at Awapuni on Saturday, just a week after a barrier incident at Ellerslie.
The former Hong Kong galloper blundered when leaving the barriers last Saturday, making heavy contact with the gates and was subsequently pulled up when rider Opie Bosson was injured.
“He came through with no problem at all,” Lance O’Sullivan said.
“It was pretty unfortunate that it happened to Opie. It’s just one of those things, it can happen, and he has certainly taken no ill-effect from the incident whatsoever.
“I was contemplating running him over 1 1⁄4 m straight away but there were no races for him over that distance.”
Meanwhile, stablemate Divine Duke remains on target for the Gr.3 Christchurch Casino New Zealand Cup (3200m) on November
“He ran really well at Matamata last start. He will run on Melbourne Cup Day at Ellerslie in the Rating 82 1 3⁄8 m, and if he performs well we will go down to Christchurch and have a crack.”
French Stakes winner for Showcasing
Former Haunui Farm shuttle stallion Showcasing was represented by Gr.3 Prix Miesque (1400m) winner Devant in France on Wednesday.
The two-year-old filly was last seen winning at Caron and was runner-up in the Gr.3 Prix Six Perfections (1400m) in July, but this was her first stakes success on her fourth start and she became the 31st stakes winner for her sire Showcasing.
Showcasing stood at Haunui Farm for six seasons but from the beginning of this year will be permanently domiciled in the northern hemisphere due to popular demand.
Showcasing is the sire of 6.1 percent stakes-winners to runners in the southern hemisphere and is the sire of leading Gr.1 gavelhouse.com New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m) prospect Xpression.
NZRB records $154.9 million profit
The New Zealand Racing Board has announced an operating profit result of $154.9 million for the year ending 31 July 2018, up $6.9 million (4.7%) on last year.
Including the investment in its strategic initiatives, reported net profit was $145.9 million, $1.9 million (1.3%) ahead of last year, despite the delay in Racefields legislation which was budgeted to provide more than $4.9 million to racing.
Financial highlights released ahead of the NZRB’s 2018 Annual Report, which is due out later this year, include distributions to the three racing codes reaching a record $148.2 million, an increase of $10.6 million on last year.
A further $1 million was allocated from NZRB’s industry enhancement funds to improve stakes, infrastructure and youth development.
“An additional $12 million in funding provided the industry with a much needed boost in stakes money in 2017/18,” NZRB chief executive John Allen said.
“As well as record distributions to the racing industry, commission payments of $10.2 million were made to 34 national sporting organisations, up $1.0 million (10.4%) on last year. In addition, our gaming activities have delivered $12.8 million in funding applied to the racing industry and $3.4 million in grants to community sporting organisations, up 6.8% on last year.
“Looking forward, we are confident of achieving our long-term ambitious targets however the outcomes of the recent review of the racing industry by Mr John Messara will be a key consideration for the Board.

“We have considered the report in detail and agree with a majority of the recommendations, however the potential outsourcing of the TAB will need to be thoroughly analysed to ensure any decisions which are made are in the best, long-term interests of our customers and the industry.”

The full NZRB Annual Report for 2017/18 will be released at the NZRB AGM at NZRB Head Office in Petone on Friday 7 December.


Sign up for our free newsletter.

© 2018 Sky Racing World. All rights reserved.